Hours of Operation
Tuesday – Friday from 10:00am-6:00pm
How did Stumpies start?
Johnny Morris and Brad Lang were both active duty Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Technicians in the United States Marine Corps. After multiple deployments to Afghanistan, Johnny and Brad were both operating in Sangin District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan when their lives were changed forever.
While conducting combat operations in July 2011 in adjacent operational areas, Johnny and Brad were called upon to render-safe and dispose of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) that had been located. During their missions they were each struck by an unidentified IED resulting in traumatic amputations for both. Johnny lost his left leg below the knee, and Brad lost both legs above the knee. While recovering together at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) – Bethesda, they decided to go into business together to open a custom firearms business. After never-ending discussions on store names, Brad’s wife said “you should call it Stumpies, you’ve only got one good leg between you two!” Johnny and Brad agreed and Stumpies Custom Guns was born.
Incorporated in May 2012, they have worked diligently to both recovery from their injuries and start the business. Stumpies Custom Guns, Inc. was granted their Federal Firearms License (FFL). Given the disabilities that Johnny and Brad both overcame, they have a special place in their hearts for people with disabilities. A top priority at Stumpies Custom Guns, Inc., is helping disabled customers get back on the trigger and back to enjoying the things they love.
What do you currently offer customers?
We offer a wide range of services that include but are not limited to:
- Order & Sale of Firearms
- Firearm Transfers – $20.00 per item
- NFA Transfers – $75.00
- In-House Gunsmithing
- Parkerizing and Firearm KG KOTE (http://www.kgcoatings.com/products/firearm-related-products/2400-series-gun-kote)
- Scope Mounting and Bore Sighting
- Repair/ Modification and Installation of Custom Parts/Accessories.
- This includes NFA items, owners must provide a copy of the applicable BATFE Form 1 or 4 while we service the item.
- AR platform conversions from Direct Impingement to Gas Piston systems
- Rifle bedding
- Bolt handle Removal & Installation
- Sale of Firearm Accessories and Ammunition
A complete list is too long to list here please contact us for quotes.
“Succeeding as Civilians” originally aired on May 13th 2013, on CBS’s 60 Minutes. The story is about program that helped us…and so many others.
- Brad Lang, President of Stumpies Custom Guns, Inc.
- Secretary for Tactical Weapons Group, Inc. (TWG); law enforcement/first responders only, firearm, ammunition and gear Distribution Company.
- Worked in different machine shops prior to the Marine Corps while going to Kettering University studying Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering.
- Enlisted into the Marine Corps as Infantry. Deployed one time on a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) as infantry before switching jobs.
- Signed up for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD). Deployed twice to Afghanistan as an EOD Tech before he was hurt.
- Sangin District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan was where he was blown up on July 24, 2011.
- He was injured on July 24, 2011 while conducting combat operations in Sangin District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. His injuries included Bilateral above knee amputation, broken pelvis, ruptured ear drum and internal injuries.
- While recovering, he spent 9 months at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center of Bethesda undergoing countless surgical operations, procedures and hours of physical therapy.
- Retired from the Marine Corps in October 2012.
- Completed the Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans with Disabilities at Syracuse University.
- Started Stumpies May 16, 2012.
- He enjoys shooting, family and mono skiing.
- HE ENJOYS LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH AND SUNSETS (I think I just vomited a little in my mouth)